As little girls, playing dress-up was just another part of childhood. Princesses, goddesses, unicorns–the possibilities were endless when you used your imagination. Have you ever dreamed of transforming into a mermaid when you were young? Perhaps the charm of Ariel from The Little Mermaid made you wish that you had fiery red hair, flippers and sea animal friends to splash around the deep blue sea with. While you can’t necessarily transform into a mermaid in reality, you can definitely look like one! Get ready for some under-the-sea fun with this fun and colorful DIY starfish hair clip tutorial! Starfish hair clips are a unique and elegant way to accessorize your hair and are incredibly easy to make. These starfish hair clips can be worn casually for a day out on the beach, or formally for beach-themed weddings. But personally, we can’t wait to break them out for Halloween this year. Paired with one of our mermaid costumes from our Halloween collection, you’ll be on your way to looking like a princess of the ocean in no time! As usual, check out the lovely pieces we’ve selected for pairing with these gorgeous starfish hair clips at the end of our tutorial!
What you will need:
Dried Starfish (You can purchase them at arts and crafts stores such as Jo-Ann)
Hot glue gun
Glitter (optional, not pictured)
1. Take your starfish and lay it out on a piece of paper or paper towel. Paint your starfish with your selected color and depending on the opacity and thickness of your paint, you may need 2-3 coats. Wait half an hour to an hour before each coat to make sure you do not smear the previous layer. To save on time, you may leave the bottom of your starfish unpainted if you wish, since the underside will not be visible.
2. This step is optional, but we decided to add some glitter. While the paint on your starfish is still wet, place your starfish on a piece of paper and sprinkle as much glitter as you’d like onto your starfish. For this particular starfish, we used a generous amount of purple and white glitter.
3. Take your hot glue gun and apply a small glob to wherever you want to start placing your rhinestones or pearls. For this starfish, we decided to start at the center and work our way around the arms.
4. Use a pair of tweezers or your fingers to place the pearl on top of the hot glue. Carefully press it down for 5 seconds until you know your pearl is securely glued onto the starfish.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 wherever you wish to place your rhinestones and pearls.
6. Feel free to go a little crazy with the decorating! We decided to go with a simple design for our purple starfish hair clip, but stick around for a look at the other pieces we’ve designed for more ideas.
7. And here we are with the finished design of our starfish. Check to make sure all your rhinestones and pearls are secure before proceeding to the next step.
8. Taking your felt, cut out a small circle approximately the size of the center of your starfish. Glue this piece of felt to the center. You want this to be secure because it will be the base for your hair clip to attach to.
9. Apply a thin, straight strip of hot glue along the felt. Taking the ends of the hair clip, press it against the hot glue. Make sure to not allow the bottom side of the clip to touch the hot glue as dries, because you don’t want the clip to get stuck together. Hold it for about 30 seconds to one minute to make sure that the hair clip is secure and the glue has dried.
10. And voilà! Now you have a beautiful starfish clip to wear on your hair! We got a little bling-crazy with the other starfishes we had in the packet. Since they were all different sizes, we decided to get creative with all of them! Which one do you like best? Will you be using any of these designs?
And now, here are a few hair style ideas that you can wear these starfish hair clips with! Use them as part of a mermaid costume, for a photo shoot or just for dressing up for a day at the beach!
Hair tied in a simple bun
And here they all are side by side. While wearing all three on your head may seem a bit excessive, feel free to wear them however you want and as many as you want.
Doesn’t our model look like she just stepped out of the ocean? We highly recommend wearing any of these starfish hair clips with beautiful, cascading mermaid waves. A mermaid’s hair must be so big–it’s full of secrets and starfish! To go along with our hair style suggestions, here are a few costumes we’ve selected that would go beautifully with your starfish hair clip.
We hope you’ve had a blast following along our tutorial and hope you found this post helpful! Don’t be afraid to experiment with other sea accessories as well, such as seashells. The best part about this tutorial is that you can get as creative as you’d like. As we count down to Halloween this year, we try to keep our ideas fresh and our tutorials simple and easy to follow along. As we have been saying in our previous entries, you can never get started too early! What did you think of this tutorial? Did you enjoy getting a look at all the different ways you can rock a starfish hair clip? Are you a fan of any of these costumes? Let us know if you will be diving into this tutorial in the comments below! And as always, check back on our blog next week for more exciting DIY tutorials!