Have you ever wanted to attend a masquerade ball? There is something so enchanting about disappearing from the real world and descending into another where you can be anyone you wish to be. Donning a beautiful mask while dancing the night away with a mysterious stranger is a fantasy that so many of us have. Halloween is coming up, and there are many ways that you can make that fantasy come true. Here at iLoveSexy, we have put together our own DIY Masquerade Mask tutorial for you to try out. While you do not necessarily need to replicate this mask step-by-step, you can definitely use this as a template or for inspiration on how you would want to design your mask. The sky’s the limit, so don’t hesitate to go a little crazy on the decorating. After all, when it comes to putting together your costume, isn’t Halloween about going all out? Stick around at the end of of this tutorial for some really gorgeous and extravagant costumes from our Antoinette Collection and Mardi Gras Collection that you can pair your masquerade mask with. We promise that you will have a ball dressing up in these best-seller outfits. In the meantime, let’s get started on our tutorial!
What you will need:
Plastic mask (you may choose whatever shape you wish, or you may make your own)
Black spray paint
Gold dimensional fabric paint/puffy paint
2 strings of black beads
Black faux flower
Hot glue gun
Newspaper or scratch paper
1. Lay out your mask on the newspaper or scratch paper and spray paint your mask thoroughly and as evenly as possible. You may have to spray paint the mask in two or three layers, depending how evenly it has dried.
2. This is how the mask should look like once dry. We spray painted this twice and let it dry for about forty-five minutes.
3. To give more shape to the eye area, we used gold paint to give the mask distinctive cat eyes.
4. While the paint is still wet, sprinkle a generous layer of gold glitter onto the eye area, making sure the eyes have an even coat.
5. For adding 3-D designs, use the gold dimensional fabric paint and draw out designs such as swirls and jewels. Feel free to be as creative as you would like with this part.
6. While the gold dimensional paint is still wet, sprinkle more glitter onto the designs.
7. Dispense a small amount of hot glue onto the mask and use a pair of tweezers to attach the rhinestones.
8. This is how the mask should look after you have attached your rhinestones. Isn’t the mask coming together quite nicely?
9. To add a touch of elegance to the mask, we cut a thin strip of black lace about 1-inch wide and hot-glued it to the back of the mask.
10. We wanted a little more volume at the top, so we added a second layer of lace to the mask. We cut out a slightly wider strip of lace and hot-glued it on top of the first layer of lace.
11. Use hot-glue to attach the gold trim all around the mask, carefully adding glue in sections and attaching the trim according to the shape of the mask.
12. This is how the mask should look after attaching the gold trim.
13. Take your two string of black beads and knot them securely to your faux decorative flower. Since this faux flower was originally a hair clip, we looped the strings through and knotted them securely onto the metal clip.
14. Hot glue the decorative faux flower to the side of the mask, making sure not to cover the eye area.
15. Dispense hot glue onto the boning of the feather and stick it into the opening between the faux flower and the mask. Hold the feather there for about thirty seconds or until you know the feather is firmly attached to the mask. Repeat this step for as many feathers as you would like.
16. Cut your ribbon into two pieces at your desired length. Again, use hot glue to attach one end of the ribbon to the mask. Now your masquerade mask is finally ready for you to wear! Simply place the mask over your eyes and tie the ribbon into a tight bow to hold everything in place.
Masquerade ball events are all about the lavishness and luxury, and nothing exemplifies extravagance more than a glitzy and decorative masquerade mask. We love how ornate this masquerade mask turned out. Putting together this mask was a little time-consuming because of all the little details that went into designing it, but trust us, a little patience goes a long way! You can add your own color scheme and ornamentation to fit whatever outfit you would be pairing this lovely accessory with. As for some ideas on what to wear with this mask, we’ve got you covered. Let’s take a look at some of our favorite picks for Halloween this year!
Halloween is all about having fun and turning all your craziest fantasies into reality for just one night. Why not go all the way this year with a glamorous costume that will really stand out among the witches, police officers and pirates? These costumes may be inspired from history, but they have been modernized with a sexy yet elegant twist. And no costume is complete without a bedazzling masquerade mask! Putting together your Halloween costume doesn’t just have to end with purchasing an outfit. Decorating it and adding accessories is what makes it special. And for twice the fun, you can even invite friends over and have a masquerade mask decorating party. The possibilities for designing this accessory are endless, so let your creative juices flow and get started on making your own with our DIY tutorial today! What did you think of this week’s tutorial? Will you be trying out it for yourself? How would you like to decorate your mask? Don’t forget to leave us some feedback in the comments below!
We would love to see what awesome Halloween DIYs you have come up with! So don’t hesitate to send us pictures of any of our DIY tutorials that you have created via email at email@example.com, and we may post it up on our Instagram at @ilovesexycom. Check back again next week for an all-new DIY tutorial that will help get you pumped up for Halloween!