Shopping for the perfect holiday party outfit can seem daunting, especially with all the crowds and long lines you’ll encounter at any fashionable retailer nowadays. When it comes to picking out a dress, you will also want the right shoes and accessories to go along with it. Personally, we, at iLoveSexy, have been head over heels (no pun intended) over the sparkling glitter heels you can find at popular footwear retailers. They come in many different colors of silver, gold, pink and red and are absolutely captivating to behold. However, glitter heels can get quite expensive and will set you back a good chunk of your wallet, which you can be spending on other items anyways. That’s why this week, we came up with a simple and fun DIY glitter heels tutorial that you can do right at home with any pair of old heels you may want to renovate. We used our Pin Up Couture Black Bliss Pumps, which worked out wonderfully to create our version. And if you are interested in using a different pair, we have many other choices in our Pumps Collection. Whatever you decide to choose, you will be happy to know you are saving by creating your own DIY glitter pumps. Wear these to your next holiday party and wow everyone by leaving a trail of sparkle wherever you go. So let’s get started!
What you will need:
A pair of high heels
Extra fine glitter
Mod Podge (Satin or Gloss Finish should do)
Bowl or plate for mixing
1. Cut a piece of sandpaper that is small enough to fit comfortably on your hand.
2. Use the sandpaper to buff around the heels in circular motions. Sandpapering your heels will allow your glitter mixture to adhere to the heels.
3. This is how your heels should look after you have buffed them. Do not worry about all the white marks, as you will be covering them up afterwards.
4. Dispense a generous amount of glitter and Mod Podge. The more glitter you mix in, the less coats you will have to paint over.
5. Use the sponge brush to thoroughly mix the glitter into the Mod Podge. Do not worry about the mixture turning a milky pale color, as the Mod Podge will dry clear and the red glitter will show through.
6. Paint a generous coat of the glitter mixture onto your heels, making sure to get every corner. Try to make your coats as even as possible.
7. This is how your heels will look when it is in the process of drying. After it is dry to the touch, continue to paint on your next layer. Repeat the process until you have your desired opacity and the glitter has covered the shoe completely. We gave our glitter heels a total of 4 coats.
And there you have it! Not only are these DIY glitter heels perfect for the holidays, they can also be worn anywhere you can party! Pair them with a black or white dress for a bright pop of color or even with your next Halloween costume. The red glitter reminds us of Dorothy’s Heels in The Wizard of Oz, which would look great with her costume. Or for those of you who are feeling like a princess next Halloween, these heels also go nicely with a Snow White costume. The possibilities are simply endless, which is why this tutorial is definitely something you will want to look into for the holidays.
To design your own pair of DIY glitter pumps, you don’t only have to follow along our design. We’ve seen some gorgeous designs where others decorated the platform of the heel with glitter as an accent and left the rest bare. Others added glitter to only the stilettos of the heels for an edgy effect.
Whatever you decide to do with your gorgeous DIY glitter heels, you can trust that they are a foolproof way to sparkle and shine at any event. Glitter heels are fun, festive and even durable enough to withstand walking around. And if you ever experience any wear and tear with the glitter in the heels, well, you’ll know exactly how to repair them. We hope you enjoyed this week’s DIY! As you know, Christmas is just around the corner and we hope you have enjoyed the holiday-themed DIYs we’ve done over the past few weeks. We always try to come up with the easiest and most affordable DIYs to make your crafting experience the best that it can be. So check back again next week and see what new gifts we’ll bring to you! And by the way, all we want for Christmas from you this year are your comments, questions and suggestions. So leave us some love in the comment box below and we’ll see you again next week!