Most women dream of that special day when they will be able to walk down the aisle in a beautiful white gown. Thousands of people get married each day with various customs and traditions. However, one custom that has gone back since the 14th century and continues to be practiced to this day is the tossing of the garter. A tradition that is both loved and hated yet practiced universally, the garter symbolizes who among the wedding bachelors is next to get married. Planning for a wedding can be quite expensive and gathering all of the right accessories can definitely put a dent in your bank account. That is why this week, we, at iLoveSexy, we wanted to share a quick and easy DIY wedding garter tutorial that you can do right at home. While you are free to sew your own garter, this tutorial does not involve any sewing and all of the items we purchased can be found at your local crafts store. And best of all, everything was under $10! This DIY wedding garter is perfect to wear underneath a wedding dress or as an accessory for matching your bridal lingerie. At the end of this blog post, we’ve picked out some of our bestselling wedding lingerie from our collection that you might want to take a look at. So stick around, gather your materials and browse through our entire Bridal Collection for any gorgeous outfits that you might want to consider for that a very special night.
What you will need:
Medium-thick (3/8 inch) ribbon
Thin (1/8) ribbon
Hot glue gun
1. Measure out the desired length of elastic lace needed to fit comfortably around your thigh. Measure out the same length of ribbon. Apply hot glue in sections to attach the ribbon to the elastic lace.
2. After you have finished attaching the lace, create a circle with the elastic lace by hot gluing the edges together.
3. Prepare your decorative pieces. Here we have our flower decoration and we cut a piece of 3/8-inch ribbon and tied it into a bow.
4. Use hot glue to attach the ribbon to the decorative flower, so that they form one unit.
5. Apply hot glue to the elastic lace garter and attach the decorative flower.
6. This is how your garter should look so far. You can add more decorations or you can leave it as it is.
7. To make the garter a little snazzier, we added a few rhinestones to complement the colors.
And now we are finished! How easy was that? You can make one by itself or if you wish to wear the garters on both legs on top of regular thigh high stockings, you can make an additional matching garter. It takes less than half an hour and only uses the handy dandy glue gun to put everything together, which is great for those of you who don’t know how to sew or don’t have the time. These DIY wedding garters are cute, chic and sophisticated and would go with a number of bridal lingerie pieces from our collection. While we carry a wide variety of lingerie on our website, here are a few of our most popular selections!
Whether you are ready to walk down the aisle or not, it never hurts to gather ideas for that upcoming dream wedding. Customizing your own DIY wedding garter is easy to achieve and doesn’t cost nearly as much as it does to purchase one at a store. You can personalize yours any way you like by adding charms, fabrics, lace or even embroidery. In addition, this tutorial can be used to make different types of garters and is not limited to just bridal. You can use black accents to create a lovely burlesque garter or even chains to give it a dark, Gothic feel. The possibilities are endless and the results will always be spectacular. We hope you enjoyed our tutorial, as we had a lot of fun putting it together. Will you be making your own DIY wedding garter? Or did you have another idea for a garter in mind? Did you like any of the bridal lingerie selections that we have picked out? Please let us know in the comment box below if you have any comments, questions or suggestions! And check back again next week to see what all new DIY tutorial we will be bringing you!