We are one month away from Valentine’s Day but that doesn’t mean we aren’t getting started on the season of love a little early this year. At iLoveSexy Blog, we are all about the handmade arts and crafts, and we wouldn’t have it any other way. For special occasions even outside of Valentine’s Day, there’s nothing quite like a handmade gift that everyone can appreciate. Even something as simple as this week’s tutorial on our adorable DIY heart t-shirt can be stylish enough to rock on a casual day. A classic fashion staple, it almost seems as though every girl has her own heart t-shirt in her closet. These heart t-shirts can be found in most clothing retail stores and are loved for their simplicity and whimsicality. But did you know how easy it is to make your own? While there are many different ways to go about creating it, we decided to experiment this week with heat transfer papers, which can be found at most local craft stores. Heat transfer papers are great for designing your own shirts and allow you to customize it any way you like. And this tutorial is not just for t-shirts, as you can design almost any kind of article of clothing such as tank tops, sweatshirts, camisoles and even lingerie. If you have a friend or loved one who would appreciate this, then stick around and learn how to create your own in just a few easy steps!
What you will need:
Heat transfer paper
A shirt or any article of clothing
Pen or pencil
1. Trace a large heart stencil or a design of your choice onto a piece of scratch paper. Use scissors to cut it out neatly.
2. Once you have cut out your stencils, decide on the placement of the stencils on your t-shirt.
3. Place your stencil on top of the heat transfer paper and trace out your design.
4. Once you have your design traced out, cut it out as neatly as possible with scissors.
5. Lay your t-shirt on a flat surface with your designs laid out in place. Place a thin piece of cloth on top of the t-shirt. Make sure the cloth is not too thick, otherwise the iron will not be hot enough for the transfer paper to adhere to the t-shirt.
6. Set your iron on a dry setting and press it on top of the heat transfer designs. Slowly move your iron for a couple of minutes around the designs and continue to press down. Make sure that the edges are secure. This may take several tries, depending on how hot your iron is.
Plain white t-shirts are a classic choice for when you want to go for a casual look, but a decorated DIY heart t-shirt adds a cute and feminine touch to it. The glitter heat transfer paper sparkles and shines against its simple backdrop, making it a cute choice for when you’re out and about. And you don’t only have to limit the designs to hearts as well. Our package of glitter heat transfer papers had several other colors included, and there are many ways you can design your shirt.
As Valentine’s Day approaches, the heart t-shirts will quickly disappear off the shelves from your favorite clothing retail stores. However, you won’t have to worry about that if you make your own with our DIY tutorial. We love how this tutorial is a no-sew and we’re sure most of you know how to use an iron, so creating your own DIY heart t-shirt is very quick and easy to do. This takes less than half an hour to complete yet looks amazing when finished and is definitely something you can gift to a friend or loved one to show how much you mean to them. What are your thoughts on this week’s DIY tutorial? Are you in love with this DIY heart t-shirt as much as we are? What design would you create if you were to make your own? Please leave us some love in the form of any comments, questions or suggestions you might have. And come check us out next week to see what new gifts you can create for the upcoming love-filled holiday!