Can you believe Valentine’s Day is coming up in nearly three weeks? Time has flown by so quickly this month and we have been busy here at iLoveSexy to come up with as many cute and creative Valentine’s Day DIY tutorials as we can. This week’s DIY tutorial is definitely going to be a fun one, as we will be working with something most of you probably have never heard of–chalkboard paint! Now chalkboard paint is pretty much what it sounds like. In contrast to regular paint, you can write on top of chalkboard paint with chalk. Cue the nostalgia, as we transport you back in time to your elementary school days of learning lessons off of a chalkboard. Sounds fun, doesn’t it? And your friends, family and loved ones will have even more fun doodling onto these DIY chalkboard mugs, which we will be teaching you how to create this week. These homemade mugs make adorable and quirky gifts and with a little coffee or hot chocolate, will be sure to warm the body and the heart. If you’re looking for something heartwarming and comforting this Valentine’s Day, then enjoying these DIY chalkboard mugs with your loved ones should be on the top of your list. And to accompany your homemade gift with any additional surprises, check out our website for many more options. Now let’s get started on our DIY project!
What you will need:
Small foam brushes
1. Use the black marker to draw an outline of your design onto your mugs. Do not worry about making this too neat, since you will be able to paint over it.
2. Paint a layer of chalkboard paint within your design. Try to make the paint strokes as even as possible. You will need about two layers of chalkboard paint to make your design opaque. If you make any mistakes, you may touch it up easily with a small amount of rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip.
3. Let your mugs dry for several hours. This is how your mugs should look like afterwards. To seal in the chalkboard paint and make it dishwasher safe, place your mugs in the oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes and bake them.
4. After your mugs have baked and cooled completely, take a piece of chalk and rub a thin layer all over the design.
5. This is how it should look after you have chalked it.
6. Dampen a piece of paper towel and rub the chalk off.
And now the DIY chalkboard mugs are ready to be written on. We thought it would be a cute idea to make our his-and-her mugs, which would make a charming pair of gifts together. But you can also give these mugs out individually to friends and loved ones. These mugs are definitely delightful enough to replace any old cup one would use for their morning cup of coffee or tea.
But of course, since this tutorial is all about Valentine’s Day, we couldn’t resist filling up our mugs with piles of candy. A sweet and simple idea, you can’t go wrong with Valentine’s Day colored M&M’s, lollipops, Hershey’s kisses or even candy hearts. So fill up your DIY chalkboard mugs with whatever surprises you want and help get your loved ones’ started on a bright and cheerful morning. We hope you’ve had a fun and inspirational time reading this week’s DIY tutorial. As always, we tried to keep it easy, fun and unique and the upcoming Valentine’s Day is no exception for getting as creative with your gifts as possible. What did you think of these DIY chalkboard mugs? Is this something you would like to try out for yourself? What sort of designs would you make on your own mugs? If you decide to make these, please share them on Twitter or Instagram tag us at @ilovesexycom so that we can see your creations. We’re not finished with our Valentine’s Day series of DIY tutorials so come back again next week to see what other ideas we have in store for you!