Native American Indian lore states that nighttime is filled with dreams, both positive and negative. Many mysteries surround the beautiful and enigmatic dream catcher in traditional Native American Indian belief. Legend has it that if you hang a dream catcher next to your bed, it will catch the bad dreams in the interwoven web and allow the good dreams to pass through the middle. When the sun rises, its rays will hit the dream catcher and the bad dreams will dissipate into thin air. The dream catcher represents unity, strength and protection and is a useful item to have on hand for a peaceful night of sleep. And here at iLoveSexy, we thought that creating a dream catcher necklace would not only be a fun DIY project for this week but it also would go wonderfully with some of our Halloween costumes in our Indian collection. Follow along our DIY Dream Catcher Necklace tutorial and learn how to make this gorgeous piece of jewelry that you can use for bed time or for an everyday accessory. And if you’re interested in dressing up as a strong, fierce and sexy Indian for this year’s Halloween, stick around for our top choices. Now let’s get started!
What you will need:
1. Before you begin wrapping your suede cord your entire metal ring, create a small loop. Use hot glue to secure the loop on both sides.
2. Make the loop large enough for you to thread your hemp cord through later. Wrap the suede cord around any visible dried glue to cover it.
3. Tightly wrap the suede cord around the entire hoop, making sure to not leave any visible hints of metal peeking through. When you have finished, secure the end of the suede cord with hot glue.
4. This is how your wrapped hoop should look like so far.
5. Taking your embroidery thread, tie a secure knot to your hoop, close to the suede loop that you made earlier.
6. Take your embroidery thread and loop it around the plastic ring.
7. Now pull the embroidery thread through the loop you have just created.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 around the whole hoop. This is how your first weaving of loops should look like. To move onto the next layer, you will continue using the same technique in steps 6 and 7, except you will weave the new loops in and out of the previous layer of loops. You should slowly begin to see a pattern form as you do this.
9. To secure the the end of your embroidery thread, you can either tie a knot in the center or on the hoop.
10. To attach feathers and beads to the dream catcher, take your brass wire, loop it onto the dream catcher and use a pair of pliers to twist and secure it in place. Don’t forget to leave enough brass wire for your feather.
11. Place your feather parallel against your brass wire and tightly wrap the wire around the boning of the feather.
12. Secure the beads to the brass wire by dispensing a small amount of glue onto the brass wire.
13. Slide your bead onto your brass wire and hold it in place until the glue dries.
14. Repeat step 10 with the brass wire to secure the beads to the dream catcher.
15. Thread your hemp cord through the suede loop that you made earlier. You can make this necklace short or long, depending on the length you desire. And now you’re done!
A simple yet chic dream catcher necklace makes a great statement piece and really adds a peaceful sense of whimsicality to any outfit. And after a day out, you can even hang this next to your bed for restful sleep of happy positive dreams. We can’t think of many wearable accessories that go hand-in-hand with a good night’s rest. And of course, no dream catcher necklace looks quite as perfect as it does with a Halloween Native American Indian costume. Here are just among of few of our favorites in our collection:
Native American Indian costumes have always been a Halloween favorite among women. When playing cowboys and Indians as children, we personally always liked dressing up as the Indians more. And what better time than to play than during Halloween? Native American Indian-inspired jewelry is also extremely popular and the many ways to accessories an Indian costume are endless. Pair any of these costumes with your own dream catcher necklace and you will look as fierce as any warrior in no time! Will you be creating your own dream catcher necklace? If so, what do you plan to use it for? Chasing nightmares away or dressing up an outfit? Let us know in the comments below if you enjoyed this tutorial or if you like any of these costumes.
Don’t forget to send us pictures of any of our DIY tutorials that you have created via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we may post it up on our Instagram at @ilovesexycom. We will be back next week with another DIY tutorial for you, so check back again soon!